Monday, June 04, 2012

Films 171 - 180

The next ten films in the Empire 500 5-star Challenge are:
  1. Force Of Evil (1948)
  2. Forrest Gump (1994)
  3. The 400 Blows (1959)
  4. 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (2008)
  5. Frankenstein (1931)
  6. The French Connection (1971)
  7. Friday Night Lights (2004)
  8. Gallipoli (1980)
  9. The General (1926)
  10. Get Carter (1971)
Wow, it's been a long time coming but I've finally finished the previous batch of ten films. A combination of the A to Z Challenge in April and moving house throughout May has severely hampered my efforts to keep any regularity to my posts. I'd love to say this downward trend is going to end soon, but I stupidly bought a house that needed a ridiculous amount of work doing to it and bizarrely I've given that priority over the movie world. There are, however, a few reviews scheduled daily after this one.

Anyway, onto the previous ten films and there was a whole variety of different genres from different eras. Far From Heaven was by far my favourite with its powerful tones about 1950's discrimination, Another surprising highlight was Fanny and Alexander which I regret not plucking up the courage to watch earlier (due to its 3 hour runtime - in Swedish). Finally, a special mention should go to The Fly which was as grotesque as it was enthralling.

As for the next ten, Forrest Gump is an obvious stand out (and the only film on this batch I have seen previously). Force of Evil should appeal to my love of film noir, and The General comes with high recommendations from my grandfather who is a Buster Keaton fan.

So, until next time!

2 comments:

  1. Forrest Gump was a great movie. Gallipoli was really intense for me and one of Mel Gibson's early movies. Also saw Get Carter with Sly Stallone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to Gallipoli soon (despite only having reviewed up to The 400 Blows at present, Gallipoli is actually only one film away on the watch list). I'm still waiting for Get Carter to arrive from Amazon in the coming days...

      Delete