Friday, August 10, 2012

Films 191 - 200

The next ten films in the Empire 500 5-star challenge are:
  1. Good Will Hunting (1997)
  2. Goodbye, Mr. Chips (1939)
  3. GoodFellas (1990)
  4. The Gospel According To St. Matthew (1964)
  5. La Grande Illusion (1937)
  6. The Grapes of Wrath (1940)
  7. Grease (1978)
  8. The Great Escape (1963)
  9. Great Expectations (1946)
  10. Groundhog Day (1993)

Wow, it's been a long time coming. There was a lot of films watched since the previous 'next ten films' post. In addition to all the franchises mentioned, I've also ensured that all the films have been watched, along with a summary of the series at the end. I had to find room for the Marvel/DC face-off in the middle of July too with Spider-Man and Batman.

There were a lot of highlights over the last six weeks. I love The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo trilogy, so for the first film to be on the list it was a treat. For me, they weren't five star films because of how and where they ended, but I still enjoyed the story. Of course, The Godfather & Part II and Gone with the Wind are instant classics.

For me, the most disappointing were The Gold Rush and Ghostbusters. The Gold Rush because after praising old films a few weeks ago on my hijack of Arlee Bird's blog, it just didn't live up to my high expectations. As for Ghostbusters, well with all the hype I guess I just expected far too much. It was funny, but I just didn't really see the point.

As for the next ten, well I must confess I've already watched some of them and have reviews scheduled (see below!), but for the purposes of this I'll pretend that I haven't! I'm looking forward to Good Will Hunting because it has Robin Williams in it (one of my favourite actors). Following the crime in the last ten, GoodFellas should be a hoot too. Although it's not the oldest on the list, I hope that Grapes of Wrath can restore my faith in the pre-Second-World-War era, coming with high recommendations from my Grandfather.

Also, let's not forget the fourth Bourne film. Although Matt Damon won't be included, I don't doubt that the film will follow its predecessor's greatness. A review for that will be out later this month, along with a summary of the Bourne franchise, including Robert Ludlum's books.

Finally, I've switched to scheduling posts for every other day. I found that posting every day was just too much work, but I watch too many films to not post regularly! It also enables me to work on those posts that aren't review-related nice and early. Work on this post began in early July so that I'm not too bogged down in the future.

So until next time!

5 comments:

  1. That's quite a varied line up of ten movies. Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeedy! The only one I had reservations over was the Gospel according to Matthew, and I watched that last night. It was very... thought provoking.

      Delete
    2. "Thought provoking" is a good way to describe it. I don't know if saying "I liked it" is quite apt, but it was an interesting film. That being said, I hate where Pasolini went with Salo.

      Delete
  2. Good Will Hunting, Goodfellas, Great Escape, Groundhog Day...four of my favorites. You will enjoy them all if you haven't seen them already. Damon-Williams at their best....Joe Pesci is superb in this one....McQueen was just single minded in his effort....Murray was perfectly cast in this role.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must confess I've now seen all of those!

      Good Will Hunting (scheduled for two days time) was excellent.

      GoodFellas was brutal - Joe Pesci was the standout for me too.

      The Great Escape is on every Christmas in the UK so I think everyone should have seen that once!

      and Groundhog Day? Well once you've seen it once you've seen it a thousand times. Bill Murray is pretty awesome in it.

      Delete